Saturday, August 01, 2009

Shame on me. I abandoned my blog in favor of Facebook. This post, however, is more suited to a blog.
In the 70's there was a popular writer by the name of Joyce Landorf. She mostly wrote for women. In later years she had personal problems which the church community felt disqualified her for further ministry. I remember her fondly however, for two specific reasons.
Her book, IRREGULAR PEOPLE, remains by far the best book I have ever read about moving past the negative people in your life. They are the people whose approval we most desire but who are probably never going to grant that approval. If you have not ever read this gem, get hold of a copy and do so.
The other reason I have for remembering her is the best BANANA BREAD recipe I have ever found; in fact it is the only recipe I use. Here it is.

JOYCE LANDORF'S BANANA BREAD

MELT 1/4 CUP OF BUTTER.
WHISK TOGETHER: 1 1/2 CUPS OF FLOUR, 1 TSP BAKING SODA, AND 1 TSP SALT IN A BOWL.
MASH 3-4 BANANAS IN ANOTHER BOWL. MIX IN 1 CUP OF SUGAR, 1 EGG, AND THE MELTED BUTTER.
ADD IN THE DRY INGREDIENTS PLUS 1/2 CUP OF CHOPPED WALNUTS.
POUR INTO A GREASED LOAF PAN AND BAKE FOR 1 HOUR @ 325 DEGREES.

The above is her original recipe. The following are some of my own variations.
I have added spices such as nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon. I have used poppy seeds, raisins, dried and fresh cranberries, other nuts or no nuts at all, mini chocolate chips, blueberries, apples, nectarines...Get the idea.
I also use less suger, part ww flour and half oil w/ half butter.
In other words, experiment and enjoy.

No comments: